Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Stay Connected

      We have looked at the branch that was baring no fruit, and how the caretaker brings it to the place where it will bare more fruit.  Now Jesus gets to the end of this progression, the desired result, a branch that bares much fruit.  John 15:4-5 says, "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing."  Here He gives us the key component for baring much fruit, it comes in the form of a command, "Abide in me".  

     We mustn't underestimate the value of just spending time with Him!  I am reminded of Jesus call to His disciples in Matthew 4:19, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men."  His first call to those men, was a call just to be with Him.  To spend time with Him.  And as they spent time with Him, then something would happen that only He could do, they would be changed, they would produce fruit.  But that only comes with abiding in Him.  Shortly before Jesus was going to be killed, He took time to remind them of the very first thing that He had told them to do, and that was just be with Him.  We like to be busy doing things, trying to produce fruit on our own, but Jesus clearly tells us that without Him, without dwelling in Him, without His power and strength we cannot do or accomplish anything.  We cannot produce the fruit that He desires without Him  Are you trying to do things on your own?  Are you working to produce results, but are doing it in your own strength?  Your efforts will be futile.  We must abide in Him.  Stay connected to the vine and you will produce much fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment